Wednesday, November 26, 2003

L.A. Wants to End 'Master' and 'Slave' Equipment

Okay...there are some situations where using the words "master" or "slave" might reasonably be construed as being offensive, racist, etc. Hard disk drives are not one of them.

As a matter of fact, in addition to posting this link, I'm going to rant a bit.

I am sick and tired of people looking for things to be offended about. I can understand being upset by something that another person says to intentionally make you upset or put you down, but things are getting out of hand. If what I read from day-to-day is honestly true, and the people I read about are honestly getting this upset, I don't know how they manage to make it through life at all.

I'm tired of pretty much every argument, discussion, or issue that has race as its foundation...yes, I'm aware of history and I understand that there are a lot of hard-fought rights that I am able to enjoy.

As far as racial issues go, the only time I'm faced with them seems to be when I see inspirational messages about things like "How to survive in a hostile environment" that seem to say that I'm supposed to assume that everyone thinks I can't do my damn job because I'm not "joe white-guy". I seldom have to think about race, except when some stupid form asks me to provide mine...I typically have fun checking every applicable checkbox:


  • white: check

  • black: check

  • native american or pacific islander: check


I like people in general...some people are obviously assholes and *those* people, I don't like. None of that has anything to do with race.

I also like computers...been messing around with them for years. Been familiar with the terms "master" and "slave" as they relate to disk drives for years, too, and somehow *gasp* I NEVER got offended by them, or, for athat matter "male" and "female" connectors (male connectors have pins, female connectors have sockets...simple, right?).

Anyway, I heard this on the radio this morning, and saw the article online today, and I just want to put in *my* two cents. This looks like a good place to do it, eh?

No comments: